1. How old were you when you began dancing and where did you dance? I took my first ballet class at age 5, then retired my tights for cleats, sneakers and anything masculine. I played all the sports and was quite a tom boy until I was 11 when I started jazz and tap, I fell in love and that was it. I started taking all the styles of dance I could and danced at Creators Arts Studio in Smithers, BC until I moved to Kelowna where I joined Reflections dance studio and stuck with them until after graduation.
2. What is your roll with Femme? I don't really have a title.... Creative Director/ Owner/ Boss Lady/ Instructor...... I like to dabble in a little bit of all the rolls, sometimes I think I am a dj, and video editor too.....
3. When you aren’t shaking your booty in Burlesque, what is your favorite style of dance? Now? If I had to choose Hip Hop.... Although my hip hop is way different than it used to be. I didn't have a sexy edge to my hip hop till 4/5 years ago. I love watching contemporary, but I know my limits and don't partake too much anymore :)
4. If you could be any animal what would you be and why? A monkey. I have always loved them, they are so cute, smart, and feisty. They can climb anywhere, and I think they are just jokesters at heart....
5. Would you rather eat only your favorite food for the rest of your life or never eat it again? Never again........ I don't think I have a favorite food.... but I like to switch it up.
6. What is your favorite song to dance to? Oh it depends which kinda dance we are talking.... I always can get down to "Shoop"...... but then I like to slow it down to "Rocket" ..... You won't be able to make me sit still if Missy Elliot is playing...
7. What is your most embarrassing moment on stage? I don't think I have one.... there are definitely moments of hilarious mistakes, or getting kicked, or kicking someone, but nothing that I cried about after.... I always think that they best thing about a live performance is that it's live, there is no rewind, if you fall you get back up, if you mess up you move on, as an audience member it is nice to know that the people on stage are real people not robots, and usually the "most embarrassing moments" on stage the audience never even had a clue it was going on.
8. What is your favorite Femme memory? If I was to pick one it would be last session when during our 'bedazzling' party the dancers showed us a video they made for us (the teachers), thanking us for everything we do. We all cried, it was super special, and so thoughtful of the girls. It is moments like that that makes all the hard work worth it.... Yes, hearing the crowd cheer for you is amazing, but knowing that you are making a difference for 1 or 50 women is huge. I love you all :)
9. When your not dancing what are you doing? Running Oranj Fitness downtown where we practice out of. It is a yoga, bootcamp, barre, spin and pilates studio. We run 100 classes a week and it is a beautiful, amazing space. When I am not working I am crafting (colouring, painting, making costumes), on the couch with my new hubby, or biking to one of my favorite local restaurants downtown for some yummy eats!
10. Why have you chosen to dance with Femme Fatale Burlesque? I always tell people that I started Femme kind of for selfish reasons.... I wanted to perform, I was living here in Kelowna, had no real good dancing opportunities and wanted to perform. There is a difference being a go-go dancer, or dancing at an event for 5 minutes to producing and dancing in a full length show that is purely about the dancers; we are the main act, no one else. But after the 1st show it became more than that, once we opened up the group to everyone of all levels it became empowering. I feel empowered teaching these women, and they feel empowered with the permission to be sexy for their 2 hours of class each week. Where we are now compared to where we were when we started is huge, the sense of community around the group is huge. When you sign up and join Femme you automatically gain 50 girlfriends, and there are not many places that you can do that as an adult. Thank you all for being part of this dream, and believing that you can dance, and feel good about it!