1. How old were you when you started dancing and where did you dance? I started dancing when I was about 5 years old. It was a ballet and tap class at a place called World of Music in Kamloops. Growing up I took pretty much everything: jazz, ballet, lyrical, contemporary, pointe, musical theatre, etc. After I graduated I went to U of C to get a degree in contemporary dance. I ended up switching my major and decided I wanted to pursue dancing outside of university, which is how, after moving to Kelowna, I found Femme!
2. What is your role with Femme? I am the city leader for Femme in Kamloops. I moved back here about a year ago and Tina asked me to help her expand Femme by starting it up in Kamloops, and I seriously couldn't be more excited. There really is not much for adult dance opportunities here and especially not in this style, so I figured why not start it myself? And Femme gave me the perfect opportunity to do just that!
3. When you aren't shaking your booty in Burlesque, what is your favorite style of dance?
I'm a contemporary dancer at heart. I went to U of C to study contemporary dance and it is the most natural movement on my body.
4. If you could be any animal, what would you be and why? I've actually thought about this question a few times. I definitely think I would be a predator. Probably a lion, because the females take matters into their own hands. They are powerful, care deeply for their young, and are in charge of providing for the pride by being the primary hunters.
5. Would you rather only eat your favorite food for the rest of your life or never eat it again?
My palette is constantly changing and what I loved last year might be different this year, so I probably would say never again, because I enjoy tasting new flavours and experiencing new sensations.
6. What is your favorite song to dance to?
Deep down I am a blues girl. I feel those chords deep in my soul. Anything with that sultry, sexy, take your clothes of beat is what I love to get down to!
7. What is your most embarrassing moment on stage? My most embarrassing moment happened when I was still dancing at a studio in my grade 12 year. We were at competition and I screwed up our jazz group dance completely, which was something I had never done before. Afterwards a guy I was seeing surprised me by having gone to the performance. I was mortified that he saw me screw up! I ended up ending things right then and there with him!
8. What is your favorite Femme memory? I think I would have to say it was dancing in the first ever Yonce show. There were only 9 of us at the beginning and it felt very grassroots in a way. I knew this was something special and after performing I was on such a high! I had never felt more confident and sexy. It really is addictive!
9. When you're not dancing what are you doing? I am a grade 3/4 teacher and dance specialist at an arts school. So my life is pretty much dedicated to that right now, but in the few other moments I have, I love to work in my veggie garden, play with my puppy, and spend quality time with my fiance.
10. Why have you chosen to dance with Femme Fatale? Femme Fatale was where it all started for me. I was in a place where I wasn't confident in my own body. I was still discovering who I was and what it meant to be a confident, strong, and sexy woman. Femme is not only a heels dance program, it ends up flowing over into your everyday life. I think right now is a time for women to empower other women, so why not do it by expressing yourself in a sensual way and by discovering the true power of your sexuality as a woman! Femme offers that and so much more.